I just came back from ng-conf2017 the biggest Angular event each year in Utah. I wanted to share some of the highlights with you.
If you are into Angular it is the best conference I have been too and like a three-day party really.
Figure: https://www.ng-conf.org/ home screen
Highlights tech wise
- Angular is at version 4 and we should call it Angular with no version number and Angular 1 is now AngularJS
- ngrx state management tool is huge now and we should be using it for big projects https://github.com/ngrx
- The Angular CLI is huge and we should be using it cli.angular.io Also expect changes to this space as it is going to become a SDK and means any custom builds will be expensive to keep up-to-date
- Angular is stable and everyone is building awesome things with it and you should not start new projects with AngularJS
- We should have Container and Presentational components and the presentational components should only have @Inputs and @Outputs and no injected dependencies.
- Angular is taking on semantic versioning expect a new major version every six months. We will be at version 5 by Christmas.
- 1.3 million devs use the AngularJS docs monthly and 850k the Angular docs which have grown 300% while the AngularJS docs have not changed. Angular is still huge!
- Ionic is at version 3 now and it is more popular than native script when talking to people who have built Angular mobile apps but native script has fans with less enterprise examples.
- Learn RxJS well as the Angular team are embracing it more and more especially with the forms.
- The main things we will see from the team in the next six months are performance improvements and the framework will be relatively stable. This is a huge deal as it has been changing a lot.
Best sessions to watch
Day 1 key note - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzsE2TbCyk
Daye 3 key note - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9_p4qvm5U
components and structure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7fLYenKy-I
Firebase functions. Interesting to see what google is doing with cloud functions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG71Hg9cUhQ
What you can not watch and why you should go
You can not capture the networking and friendship from the conference and the fun of immersive learning. You should go!
Figure: Guest 5min appearance on Angular Air podcast live from the
Figure: Hanging with the Protractor team from Google
Figure: It snowed
Figure: It is overwhelming by the end